Essential Driver Training

Before applying for a Learner Permit, candidates must pass a driving theory test.

What do I need to get Learner Permit?

  • Step 1: Theory Test Certificate - You will need to provide a valid Theory Test Certificate, you must pass the Driving Theory Test.

  • Step 2: Complete Eyesight Certificate D502 - This document certifies that your eyesight is adequate for driving.
    To complete the form, arrange an appointment with a registered optician or a doctor to conduct an eye test. He/she will then complete the form. The certificate is then valid for one month.

  • Step 3: Complete the Medical Report form D501 - This document certifies that you are fit to drive.You only need to complete a Medical Report D501 if:

    * You are over 70 or will be 70 on the day your licence is issued.

    * You answer ‘Yes’ to any of the medical questions on Application Form D201 below.

    * You require a licence for a category of vehicle other than an ordinary car. View a list of all licence categories.

  • To complete the form, make an appointment with a doctor. He/she will complete the form for you.

  • Step 4: Complete the Learner Driving Permit Application Form D201 - The Learner Driving Permit Application Form D201 is available from public libraries and Garda Stations.

  • Step 5: Return your documentation - Proof of your identity. This could include your:

    * A Public Services Card and verified MyGovID

    * Original birth certificate

    * Original passport

    * Original certificate of registration from the Garda National Immigration Bureau

    * Two identical recent passport type photos, signed by you on the reverse.

    * To have successfully passed the driver theory test in the category you are applying for in the previous 2 years.

    * Fully completed eyesight report form dated within one month, if required in your case.

    * Fully completed medical report form dated within one month, if required in your case.

    * Your application fee of €35.00. You can pay by credit or debit card, Google Pay or Apple Pay. If you are aged 70 years or over you are exempt from paying the fee.